Con Dao Island
And it remained a prison colony until the end of the Vietnam War in 1975. Old prison buildings exist as a small museum tracing the island’s history. The Con Dao group of 16 islands is on the south east coast of Vietnam. It is a 1 hr plane ride from Ho Chi Minh City.
- The island group is immensely beautiful famed for its forests, beaches coral reefs and marine life.
- Turtles breed along the shores of Bảy Cạnh Island.
- Con Son is the largest island and the only one that is inhabited.
PLACES OF INTEREST AND ACTIVITIES
- Lo Voi Beach. North side.
- Bai An Hai Beach. The most accessible beach to reach
- Ong Dung Beach. North side
- Nhat Beach. has some of the island’s clearest waters
- Dam Trau Beach. To the west
- Dat Doc Beach. Features Six Senses Con Dao. On the far north west part of the island
Outdoor activities. Trekking, swimming, water sports, hiking, horse riding, snorkelling and scuba diving
The Prison Museum Located in the former Governor’s House gives an introduction to Con Dao’s past, and tours can be arranged of the island’s prison sites